A sporadically-updated music collection blog. Send questions to twitter or email me.

Monday 4 August 2014

Donovan Wolfington - Scary Stories You Tell In The Dark

As should surprise absolutely no-one, I ended up buying yet more TWIABP vinyl from the Topshelf UK store. While I was at it, I picked up a couple of seven inches. I'll hold off on the TWIABP record for a little bit (due to the minor onslaught of late) so here's one of those records instead. I picked this up because it was pretty cheap and Topshelf had been talking about how good it was, so I took a punt.


I dunno about you, but I would not be fond of scary stories told in the dark at a graveyard. That sounds hella creepy. Not entirely sure what's going on with the tombstone in the middle, but I appreciate the visibility of the phrase "At Rest". I like the muted colours here, they're quite pleasant.


The sleeve is a single piece of card, with lyrics inside. Bit of a shame there's no more photography here, but I'm always a fan of lyrics.


Now that is one pleasant-looking record. Most of the colourways are at least a little green-y, which goes quite nicely with the cover. This, the half-white half-green, is limited to 100 and I am very fond of it.

So like I said, I bought this pretty much on a whim. It may come as a surprise, then, that I've listened to this pretty much daily for the past week or so. Possibly one of the best EPs so far this year, it's angsty yet remarkably catchy. The whole thing clocks in at a little over 10 minutes, the highlight of which is the sub-2 minute punky blast of Quitting. It's well-suited for the summer and has proven to be the perfect thing to listen to in the morning to get me ready for the day ahead. Proof that sometimes purchases made on a whim can turn out pretty great.

No comments:

Post a Comment