A sporadically-updated music collection blog. Send questions to twitter or email me.

Thursday 7 July 2011

Guest Post: Dan

Well. The past month or so has been filled with exams and life generally moving incredibly quickly, so this has been neglected somewhat. I apologise, dear reader, for the abscence but now that the summer has come, I'm free as a bird to write things up (I plan to finally tackle the rather large amount of Biffy Clyro things I own sometime soon) and generally do little for two months. Being a student is beautiful sometimes.


Now, as you may have guessed form the title, this is a slightly different post to usual. For the past few months I've been harassing some of my vinyl-buying friends to contribute to this blog with posts about their favourite records that they own. Why? Well, I think it'll be interesting to see why people value certain records over others, and it'd be a nice change from my own posts. That, and chances are we'll see some vinyl I'll probably never buy. Variety is the spice of life and all that.


So our inaugural guest post comes from Dan (twitter here, tumblr here). As I know Dan has a fairly impressive record collection (including a lot of Foo Fighters), I was interested as to what he'd come up with. Here is what he chose:


My favourite records.
I'm nominating two records for this, one for the sleeve, and another for the record itself.
Firstly, the sleeve.  This is the debut album from Leeds band, The Music.  The artwork they had for the first album and the singles from it was fantastic.  It was simple, instantly recognisable as them, and highly visible on the shelves.  As a bonus, it's also one of the best British albums of the last 30 years.  I had this signed outside the Astoria in London (RIP) in February 2004, and they were always up for a chat with fans. 
Finally, the vinyl itself.  This is side C of "Scabdates", a live album from The Mars Volta.In keeping with tradition, GSL's special vinyl version features two full-colour picture discs and this is my favourite of them.  A goblet containing a human with an oversized, exposed brain with flies hovering around it, set against an incendiary background.  I was never much of a fan of the album but the artwork, as usual with The Mars Volta, is fantastic.  


Thanks Dan!

No comments:

Post a Comment